January 1 has passed, but that doesn’t mean the new year is over. Actually in a lot Asian countries that follow the lunar calendar have another New Year holiday – the Lunar New Year.
In Korea we call it Solal. Celebrating the first day of the lunar calendar, it is one of the most important traditional Korean holidays.
Since January 21-22 was the Sollal 2023 weekend, many celebrities wished themselves a New Year, and BTS’s video especially caught the attention of Korean netizens.
In the video, BTS members do not use common English terms (Lunar New Year) but use the Korean expression “sollal” which has much more meaning to Korean netizens.
In a message on a popular online community, one netizen wrote: “While people debate whether to use Lunar New Year or Chinese New Year, BTS just released a video talking about Solal. »
After seeing this, many netizens could only agree with the author of the post. They answered:
- “This is the way it should be. Solal is Solal.”
- “I love how BTS is raising cultural awareness. As in other cultures, we should use more Korean words instead of trying to translate them into generic English terms. “
- “Reminds me of Ho Seok’s brother Chuseok hahaha”
- “It warms my heart to see 7 participants in Sollal.
- “I hope more influential idols will follow BTS. “
- “Daniel from NewJeans caused controversy by saying ‘Chinese New Year.’ She should follow her sunbae.